Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Karma 2012 (part 2)

1st Unexpected Event of 2012

So in the days following my motorcycle get-off, I was surprised at the support, well wishes and compassion both my wife and I received from my co-workers.  I've been in the same job for nearly 13 years now, and known some of my co-workers all that time while a few others are more recent acquaintances.

Of course I've always signed the obligatory sympathy card, or birthday card, or contributed when collections were made for the  people in my circle.  But in large part, I'd purposefully maintained a separation between my professional life and my personal life.

 In a  pretty large organization I'd perhaps seen a handful of my co-workers outside of work and would consider them genuine friends.  These inner few knew more about my life events over the past decade including divorce, child custody battles, personal challenges and to a lessor extent my financial ups and downs.  Most however only caught bits and pieces as things might come up in conversations.

Much to my surprise, very many people whom I only know from work expressed both worry about my injuries and even now some 8 months later I still get the occasional query about how I'm doing and if I'm fully recovered.  An unexpected but pleasant awakening.

Perhaps I had done a disservice to myself all these years?  What was my intent for separating my personal life from people whom I spend 40+ hours a week with year after year?

Prior to the accident, in keeping in-line with my Buddhist studies I had been more engaged with co-workers than in the past.  Practicing right speech, right thought and trying to extend compassion to those around me and on my path.  I have made much more diligent efforts in personally engaging with the work family and being more open to sharing my beliefs in a welcoming fashion in not just Buddhism but also my vegetarian/vegan preferences and rationale.  It's a warmer place being more engaged with my co-workers -- more genuine.

2nd Unexpected Event of 2012

Another major turning point in 2012 was our finding, joining and participating in a local Vegetarian and Vegan's Meetup group.  In many ways, to me, this group of people whom I would have had little chance of bumping into in my usual circle of life activities has become what I consider my Sangha.  My spiritual community of kindred spirits and soulful friends.

I have been vegetarian for about 10 years now, and recently trending towards veganism.  My dietary choices from the start largely compassion motivated for the poor quality of life and circumstances of the animals used for food.  None of our immediate circle of friends shared similar beliefs and without realizing it, we had on many occasions been made to feel like the awkward ones for being 'weird' or different from 'the rest of the world'.

This separation became so much more apparent when we found the warm group of other vegetarians and vegans in the meetup group.  Some motivated by compassion for animals abused and slaughtered in food production.  Other motivated by health benefits and detriments associated with plant-based vs animal-based diets.  Regardless, a group of otherwise strangers bonded together out through a common thread.

During 2012, we've met with our group in social gatherings as well as educational events to share and learn with each other on topics associated with diet.  If you've never seen them, I'd recommend everyone omnivore or veg/vegan to be informed and to make educated choices:
 By challenging what we know or believe to be true and by continuously learning and growing we can evolve to become more informed and open-minded members of the world.

Our circle of friends grew exponentially in 2012.  An unexpected side-effect of having a wider circle of friends was making the 'gap' in beliefs with our existing friends that much more evident.  More on that in a separate entry.

We are challenged to have right view, right speech, right thought and that can be difficult to do all the time in all situations.  In 2012 we grew in our not only the strength of our convictions by having a common community to growing; but also grew more assertive in being viewed/treated as equals (not weirdos) with others and being apologetic for veg/vegan choices while working harder on compassion and sharing with others perhaps misinformed and in the dark about the animal welfare/environmental impacts/health issues associated with diet.

A win all around I think.

(to be continued...)




No comments:

Post a Comment