Saturday, December 7, 2013

Reflections on Turning 45 (pt 1)...



7 Dec - An Opening Message…

First, to those who happen to read and maybe comment on my musings, thank you for taking the time.  Most of you are probably my friends, family members or old acquaintances from past jobs, college, high school or even as far back as childhood friends.  Some may be family members or friends of friends and possibly complete strangers.  Regardless, as we’re all on our own journeys called ‘life’ it my hope that my writing might inspire, or cause pensive meditation on similar circumstances in your lives.  Possibly, there will even be some unanswered questions that arise and any tips, suggestions or feedback will be appreciated!

- Preview -

When considering how and where to start reflecting on one’s life so far, it seems natural to identify some boundaries to guide my thoughts and writing.  45 years is a long time and some prejudice is warranted to both filter down a life full of events ranging from the mundane, boring stuff to the good, the bad and the tragic that have worked to shape ‘me’ and to hopefully keep it interesting and compelling.  As I’ve written my outline and began forming up what will be included, I’ve already a longer list of other topics probably to be expanded later – outside of this thread.

As the Billy Joel song goes...
So many faces in and out of my life
Some will last
Some will just be now and then
Life is a series of hellos and goodbyes...

 - Read, Meditate/Reflect, Adapt and "Just Do It..." -

So no surprise here, I'm running behind.  This post was SUPPOSED to be out a week ago, but life has a tendency to get in the way of my plans.  Plus, outlining, drafting, editing and re-editing takes time so whatever, don't sue me!!!

Like the subheading says though, whatever you set out before yourself to do, no matter success or fail or procrastinate or get interrupted, remind yourself to "Just Do It!!!".  For lots of things, no one else can do it for you and they're not magically going to do themselves.  What awaits if you give up who knows, but one thing I do now will arise is regret.  When it's too late it's too late.

Which links into what maybe a recurring theme in this series, and that is loss and general unpreparedness for it. All the shit we put off to another day, usually in my case to do something completely valueless and pointless.  Guilty.  A few friends have died this year, a good friends husband in an accident.  Maybe you lost relatives for friends too this year.  Sorry about that.

Tomorrow isn't a guarantee for any of us.  It's way too easy to sleep-walk through our lives, such is the nature of samsara.  But to be mindful of our thoughts, of our surroundings, to live in the 'now' as opposed to the past or the future -- that is something to strive for every day.

So, please read on.  Maybe you'll find cause or trigger to think about your life, your circumstances or even mine.  Adapt to what moves you, or provide me comments/suggestions on my road so far....

And off we go!!!

- Namaste


No comments:

Post a Comment